Friday, April 23, 2010

22 Weeks and Race Update

I am now 22 weeks, as of Wednesday, and feeling great!

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about the Fitger's 5K! We did that last Saturday. I was pretty nervous beforehand considering it was the first race I've done since last November and I had NO idea what I would be able to do.  I got this cute new shirt online that says "Got Baby."  It's pink and very fitted...I ordered a small since most smalls are usually too boxy for me and I wanted it to be snug, like a racing shirt.  I was actually shocked at how SMALL it was, yet somehow I managed to squeeze into it...haha  I got quite a few comments on it prior to the race, people asking where I got it, etc. I joked with Mike that I wanted people to understand why I was slower than normal.

Seriously, prior to this race I had a perception that I'd slowed down considerably due to the pregnancy, yet when I got out on the course I was able to keep up about an 8:40 pace (about a minute slower than my usual 5K pace) . I was happy with that! I was sort of far back at the start, but set my watch once I got through the crowd and crossed the starting pad thing so I would have an accurate time for myself. Since there was chip timing at the race, (and about 1600 people) I thought I didn't have to worry about trying to get up to the front.  I finished my first mile in about 8:40, got to the second in 17:35. There was a wicked hill in the third and final mile, AND the last half mile was an uphill grade. You could see the finish arch about a half mile ahead but BOY was that deceptive, it felt like it took forever to get there!

I crossed the finish at 26:30, about 3 minutes slower than my personal record, but hey, I am pretty far into my pregnancy so I was thrilled!  The clock time said 27:30 I think. Later on the website, I discovered the chip times were NOT posted, which I couldn't understand and was greatly bummed out by - but what can you do??? I am sure most people would say "big deal, who cares about one minute," but that little minute WAS a big deal to me!

Anyway, it felt wonderful being done with the race, milling around in the finish area in the morning sunshine.  I was flooded with endorphins and remembering why I love racing.  I saw several people I knew and chatted with them while I was looking for Mike. It took me forever to find him.  He came in around 22:30 and was not happy about it, since he was hoping to beat 22 minutes. I thought he did great though! The shirts were pretty cool, too.

I felt like I was on a high for the rest of the morning. We went home and talked for a while with my mom, who had come over that morning to watch Macy for us so we could run.  She said, "Oh maybe you can take a nap later" and I told her "naw, I never get to take naps." Well, once my runner's high wore off, I was really wishing for a little rest time, but I blew it because I wasn't tired while Macy was having HER nap.  Oh well. Then, I felt like I was useless for the rest of the day. That run really took a lot out of me!  I mean, I know it was only 3 miles, but I pushed myself really hard and it sorta kicked my arse...haha

The next day I was feelin' it... shins were on fire, hamstrings tight and painful!  Once I got moving though I felt much better.

Now I feel super pumped and motivated for the half marathon, which is ONLY 2 months from tomorrow! Holy did that sneak up on me!!!  I didn't do a long run last weekend since we had the race... but the weekend prior to that did the 10-miler.  I think tomorrow I am going to go for 11!

I had my 20 week ultrasound on Monday (I was actually 21 weeks, 5 days, but that's when the appointment happened to fall). It went pretty well, however the baby was "folded in half" (lol) and they couldn't get all the measurements they needed. I have to go back on May 11th to repeat some of them. It was fun getting to see her flop and kick and flip around in my belly for 45 minutes, though! Also, they couldn't get a good 3d pic because the placenta was partially covering her face.  Maybe we will get some better pics next time!

Well, time to hit the treadmill.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for you comment.

To your health and happiness,
Melissa