Friday, September 3, 2010

The Finale!

Well, it has taken me three weeks to tell you about the birth of the baby! Bad me!!!  I meant to come in here sooner and update, but well ya know how life gets away from you when a newborn comes on the scene!

Okay, so it was August 12th...one of the hottest days this summer - probably close to 90 and just as hot in my house.  I lamented to Mike that night after watching the weather, "I think she barometric pressure is going to drop tomorrow and I am going to go into labor."

The morning of August 13th, I went to the gym and ran my three miles in roughly 32 minutes.  I went home and showered - and when I got out of the shower - it seemed that something was "dripping," if you know what I mean. I couldn't tell if it was just water from the shower or what. LOL Anyway, I had a doctor appointment in about another hour, so I figured she could check me out then.

When I got to the doc, I had to provide a urine sample as per the usual - and while I was in the bathroom I noticed another gush of fluid and was pretty sure my water had broken.

Shortly after that I was up on the exam table and the doctor confirmed that, yes, my water had broken. I was kind of in shock, I haven't had that happen with my other two kids.  I just sat there on the table thinking, "is this IT?"  Thirteen days early???

I texted Mike and told him it was confirmed, my water HAD broken. The doctor told me I should get over to the hospital.  I asked her if I could just go home until I started having contractions (I was feeling no pain) but she said they like to monitor you once your water breaks.

Then I asked if it was okay if I went home to get my stuff and she said yes. I did go home - but before I did I went to Arby's (LOL) knowing they would not let me eat once I was admitted to the hospital!

Then I went home, showered, packed my bag, cleaned the house, did a few other things and then Mike brought Macy to the sitter. I didn't end up making it to the hospital til 4 p.m.  hahaha.. The nurses were like, "Oh, there you are - we were wondering if you were coming!"

Still no serious contractions.

They decided to just let me labor for a while and see what happened... apparently my cervix was not totally ripe so they gave me something to help it ripen. I started to contract some but not too intense. I had contractions through the night and dozed off and on until 6 a.m. when they started me on pitocin and gave me an epidural.

Once I was on the pitocin, it took about an hour and a half for me to fully dialate - then ONE PUSH and baby girl was here!!!

I couldn't believe it.  It was so fast, and I had no tearing or stitches. Unbelievable! 

Baby girl (who didn't have a name yet) was 6 lbs. 11.5 ounces and 19 inches long.  She is totally gorgeous and the most wonderful baby.

It took Mike and I another full day after she was born to finally name her. Her name is Emilyn Danielle - Danielle is after my dad who passed away in 2002.

She will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and is a really good sleeper.  I feel very fortunate that she sleeps well as I have to start school in a few days!

As for my body, I am getting it back :)  I gained a total of 18 lbs after losing a couple the week before delivery, and lost 12 in the birth.  I have since lost a few more leaving me with only about 3 lbs and some ab work and I will be back where I was!  I also went back to the gym three days after delivery, I had NO pain or complications... I couldn't have asked for a better experience!!!

I feel happy and thrilled, almost euphoric.. and have had NO depressed feelings like I did after Macy. I feel on top of the world. I am truly blessed!!!

1 comment:

  1. awwww! congratulations! you look great, and your sweet little babe is just precious! congrats again :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for you comment.

To your health and happiness,
Melissa